Video: Bagels in a flash
Disclaimer: This is NOT a 10 minute recipe, but I’ve added it by popular request!
You will need:
- About 1 Cup water – 115 degrees (fairly warm to touch but not HOT)
- 1/4 oz. Active dry yeast (usually 1 package)
- 4 tsp + 1 Tbsp Sugar or 3 1/4 TSP + 1/2 TBSP. Agave Nectar
- 1 TBSP. Earth Balance or other vegan butter substitute for baking – Melted
- 1 1/2 TSP + 1/2 TSP. Salt
- 4 Cups Bread Flour
- Combine 1 cup warm water, yeast and 2 1/2 TSP. Sugar or Agave Nectar. Let stand about 5 minutes or until yeast has dissolved and has activated. You will know as the water should look somewhat foamy on top.
- Add the melted butter, 1 3/4 TSP. salt, 1 1/2 TSP. sugar or 3/4 TSP. Agave Nectar, and 1 cup flour. Knead for about 10 minutes. Add flour in small amounts, kneading thoroughly until you have a dough that is firm and stiff to the touch. You may not use all 3 remaining cups, or you may need a little extra. Remember to add slowly and work the dough thoroughly.
- Let dough stand covered with a slightly damp cloth, such as a cheesecloth, for 30 minutes.
- Punch down the dough.
- Divide into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a ball. You may want slightly damp hands while doing this to end up with smooth dough balls.
- Pinch your thumb into the center and push through. You should work to stretch this hole without breaking the ring until it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches across.
- Place dough rings on sprayed or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and let rest a minimum of 15 minutes.
Note: You can cover and refrigerate overnight here — this will provide best results as the dough has more time to prove.
- Pre-Heat over to 450.
- Bring about 5 quarts of water to a boil. Add remaining salt & sugar/agave nectar.
- Boil each ring until they puff considerably, about 2 minutes/side. The longer you boil, the chewier the bagel.
Remove each ring and return to parchment/cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle toppings and feel free to give them a press to help them stick.
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 450.
- Reduce heat to 425.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until desired level of darkness is achieved.